2017 MAYORAL PLATFORM
1. How I would use the 5% sales tax, about $40 million dollars:
- More police on the streets with more pay, and de-escalation training – $10 million
- Early childhood reading – $12 million
- 8th grade initiative with business community to make sure they graduate with good skills – $5 million
- Education, training, jobs, and conflict resolution for youth on the street with nothing better to do than shoot each other and mug people – $5 million
- Other new initiatives like seniors and public service announcements (see below) – $4 million
- Soccer stadium (if people vote for it) – $4 million
2. Independent Redistricting
3. Two-person police patrols
4. Public service announcements for those about to hurt themselves or others to come in from the cold and let us help them
5. No zero tax-abatements for development; 50% maximum with monies for schools
6. Office for elderly issues
7. Ombudspersons in nursing homes and extended care facilities
8. Monitored cameras on every downtown corner
“As long as I was here I thought I should try to swim fast.”
Michael Phelps after setting a world record in his first preliminary of the 2004 Olympic trials when asked by the media if he thought it was good to swim so hard so early in the competition.
“Success is the ability to go from defeat to defeat with no loss of enthusiasm.”
Leadership is action not position.
I know where I want to go, but I will go where God takes me.
Emil Zatopec: He didn’t know he couldn’t win the Olympic Marathon he had never run before, so he just got out there and won it.
“You’re never too old to chase your dream.”
Diana Nyad after finally completing the Cuba to Florida swim after more than 30 years of trying.
“I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
“First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win.”
Frequently attributed to Mahatma Gandhi
“Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile.”
“I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
Frequently attributed to Maya Angelou